Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Giving away the Treasures

If you are willing to give it away, you must also be willing to let go.
Like beauty, treasures are often in the eye of the beholder.  In the case of crafty types, we can sometimes assign the word "treasure" to an item (or two) as a self-proclaimed identifier.  In truth -- and as a reminder to each of us who gift our work -- the "treasure" appellation is not ours to ascribe; that privilege belongs to the recipient.


Two GREAT granddaughters celebrate 2 and 1 yr in August and September so I am busy making a birthday package for them.  Keep in mind I'm doing stuff that I hope will be treasures for now and later.   And when I wrap the collection in a box and affix a UPS or FEDEX label, I will remind myself that the "treasure-ness" was in the gifting of my heart to theirs.  It's not about the actual item -- these things will be theirs to use as they please.

Pillowcases -- don't grammas often embroider pillowslips for grandchildren?  I feel like I've become my mother (don't all aging women feel this at one time or another?)  I remember watching Mom embroider stuff -- pillow slips, quilts, towels, etc. -- and then give them as gifts.  I don't remember any of the recipients, only the items and the bits of thread that collected on the arm of her chair.

Tho the edge is nicely finished I will add some frilly lace.
Princesses need lace, I think.


Not quite finished.  "Little Girls"  will be added to
"Thank Heaven For" plus another purple and yellow
butterfly.  Lace, too.
Pillow slip Doll -- actually it's all the pieces, though I found instructions for making the same doll from an actual pillow slip.  In this case, the fabric is printed with pieces to assemble -- arms, head, body, etc.  More lace, of course.

All of the printed embroidery items are from Jack Dempsey Needle Arts and all are made in the USA.  They also sell floss (DMC) and sometimes the kits come complete with floss, sometimes not.

Blanket for fall -- it's hot where these babies live so I expect this one will be put on the shelf till cooler temps arrive.  Pattern is from a book their grandmother sent me -- 50 cents for a Coats and Clark baby crochet book.  Yarn is from my stash.  Patons Astra.  Hook is size G.


Now that you're completely confused about family tree, here's the details. 
  • Babies -- 2 girls
  • Their mother is my husband's first granddaughter, making the babies his GREAT granddaughters.
  • The mother of the mother, the grandmother, is my husband's youngest child.
  • Me?  I married into all of this almost 32 years ago, before the mother of the babies was born.
  • Hope that helps.

I've got a couple of other things to add to the package and will share pix later this week.  Goal right now is to get everything except the quilt from last week's post "Free to Quilt" in the mail by Friday, 7/20.

Tempus fugits.  Back to the Treasures, none of which can be considered finished -- yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment