Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Explanations?

Most US bloggers will, on July 20 or shortly after, include some mention of the shootings in Aurora, CO. . . for which there are, as yet, no Explanations.

I find that my own attempts at Explanations of irrational acts are generally based on my ideas of rational thinking. . . and this process never ever, never, produces anything useful or meaningful as Explanations   Irrational minds -- even those operating temporarily in the irrational sphere -- engage in ideas and acts that, by definition, cannot fit into any rational Explanations.

For a bit of comfort, then, I resort to the things in my life that -- yes -- do have Explanations.

Baby Afghans -- I scrapped one idea for a second one.  I didn't like that one so I dumped it, too.  Finally settled on this.
Explanations -- didn't like the way the two crochet patterns
were working up in the yarn; I wasn't enjoying the crochet;
I was collecting some awful RSS (repetitive stress
syndrome) in my lower arms.
Scrapped this one.
Explanations -- didn't like the color combinations and so
it wasn't much fun to continue.  On the plus side --
I was using up stash, but so is the final selection above.

I can also partially explain the WRT (waiting room time) I experienced today before, during and after a glaucoma laser procedure.  Explanations certainly help us understand; acceptance is harder.  The entire morning was spent on the road, in a chair, waiting, waiting, waiting.  

The procedure itself took all of 10 minutes.  It takes lots more detail to provide Explanations.
  • Files didn't get transferred.
  • Outcome after laser wasn't what any of us expected.
  • Wait time is required in between procedure and pressure testing.
  • Traffic was awful going and returning.

Explanations -- we will all want something to help us understand what happened in Aurora.  We will want a tidy package that says "Oh, it was because of A, B and C."  

However, sometimes the best Explanation is "Who the hell knows what causes brain synapses to fire the way they do?"

I'll be knitting -- I can find Explanations for my knitting choices.

Great set of patterns.

Adorable Child.

That six-year old who died was also adorable.  No Explanations.


No comments:

Post a Comment