Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Monday, June 4, 2012

One Experiment vs 1000 Expert Opinions

If you knit sox, even as a beginner, you know there are many ways to approach them.  And if you're like me, you've experimented with each method, maybe even bot a book.  There are more experts, I think, than there are feet to wear sox we never knit.  (giggles.)

  • One at a time
  • One needle with Magic Loop
  • Two Circulars
  • 3 or 4 dpn's 
  • Toe up
  • Top down


Did I miss something?

Yes, the type of needle.  These run from lace circulars, wooden / metal / plastic dpn's, your favorite brand.

I've experimented with all of them and I think I've found the secret -- for the Snug Sockettes (more later) I picked up a ChaoGoo Knit Red Lace circular, 47" long.  Using the Magic Loop method I cast on for one Snug Sockette.

Adjectives fail me.  This needle worked.  The cord is strong but flexible.  The points are magnificently smooth and make for speedy knitting.  ML method means I actually get to knit 20+ stitches at a time so rhythm has a chance to set in.  Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

If you check in regularly with this blog, you may notice
that this is the leftover Cascade Heritage Superwash used
with the Harry Potter Sox.
The pattern.  It's free from Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts, an engaging and delightful blog written by Vanessa (make sure you read her story of the year she spent fighting -- and beating -- cancer.)

Vanessa's blog is here:  Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts.
Her pattern is here (and Ravelry): Snug Sockettes  (which gives a link to Ravelry.  Also try Etsy.com)

While the husband and I were on Hospital Time I started a pair of lace sox from The Big Book of Socks, by Kathleen Taylor.  I bot the book from a used bookseller via my fave book site, AbeBooks.  Probably you can get it from other retailers.

This one is on 4 dpn's but I will switch it to the Chiaogoo needle as soon as the Snug Sockettes are finished.  Soooo much faster.

Yarn is from Frolicking Feet, purchased at Yorkshire Yarns,
one of my LYS in Lakewood.
I am dedicating this post to the father of my friend Kimberly, in Florida.  He spent many years as a NASA scientist, and is now retired.  I've mentioned him before because of his favorite maxim:  One experiment is worth 1000 expert opinions.

The NASA Scientist is absolutely spot on.





1 comment:

  1. Loving both of those sox. I've gotten away from my sock obession I had for a few months. Lately it's been a shrug/shawl obession (with 2 blankies thrown in for good measure!). Gotta get back to the sox, got several balls of yarn just begging to be used.

    And yes, 1 experiment is worth 1000 expert opinions. And it doesn't matter what topic.

    ReplyDelete