Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

325 stitches

Yup that's the count at the end of this one.  Bind off loosely in purl.  The cast-on count?  69.  So lots and lots of yarn overs!

It's a great cape.  Designer is Brooke Nico, with ArtYarns.  The pattern is in their One+One book.

I started it late last week and made it my weekend project.  Steady knitting brings me to Tuesday and a finished item.  Yeah!

It's a prayer shawl.  Dear friend lost her dear friend to suicide.  Fathoming this mystery is beyond the human heart or mind.  A prayer shawl is just one token of remembrance -- a way to tell my friend that I know her loss is deep and unfathomable.  It's a small bit of my heart and prayers, said while knitting, that I will give her tonight as a way to say "I love you, even if neither of us understands."

The yarn is Paton's Canadiana, a superb acrylic that knits up soft and even.  The cape calls for a CCYA 4 weight.  Of course, ArtYarns features their own incredible fibers in all the patterns in One+One.  (The link from ArtYarns takes you to Amazon.  I always hesitate to link to a particular purchase site, so check out KnitPicks or WEBS or your LYS.)

Here are some detail pix.



Whatever that color disclaimer is, you can insert it here _____.   The bottom foto is closer to the 'truth.'

This one has worked up quite smoothly.  It's rated "Intermediate" but only because the pattern, as you can see, is irregular.  The leaves get larger as they fall down the length of the cape/shawl.

  • Yes, I'd make this pattern again, definitely.  
  • Yes, buy the book.  My purchase was a kind of accidental online selection that's made me happy I erred.
  • Yes, I'd love to try any of the designs in One+One, using the ArtYarns specified -- they are all gorgeous and incredible.
  • Yes, prayer works.  This I believe.  Amen


1 comment:

  1. Prayer is a very powerful tool. That's a beautiful shawl and I can see your heart stitched into every stitch. I'm sorry your friend, and you, have been faced with such a loss. In this case, I'm sure making the shawl is just as therapeutic as receiving it will be.

    ReplyDelete