Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Vest of the Story . . .

. . . with apologies to Paul Harvey, a great newscaster.

Finally put the yarn and needles together for the dark teal vest.  LB Collection Organic Wool from Lion Brand.  It's a bit chunkier than worsted so I'm using US9 needles; the gauge worked out right per the pattern, so it's all good.

Big complex cables on the front and back.  Hoping you
can see that the big cable is encasing a smaller cable.

This is one of those patterns that demands even knitting tension and the cables are unforgiving, mistake-wise.  So I put all three pieces of the vest -- two fronts, left and right, and the back -- all on one long circular needle.  This means that each piece will be knit under the same conditions -- my stress level, the weather, the amount of moisture in the air -- and by knitting all pieces at once I have greatly increased the probability that the end product will appear (and BE) uniform.

You're looking at the two fronts as they will meet
when the garment is worn.  In the back, in the shadows is
the back of the vest (wrong side as you are viewing it.)

The cables are wonderful.  They are chunky and have several crossing areas within other crossing areas.  The chart is in the pattern, also from Lion Brand, Cabled Teal Vest, though of course there are other colors.  Finished garment will also have a hood.  I may try to find a pewter clasp (called a frog) to join the fronts when it's worn, but the pattern is designed to be worn open.

Here's a close-up of the cable.  Love it.
This shows two of the three chunky cables that will
snake there way up the back of the vest.

The Vest of my story is that this project is moving along nicely.  The additional not-to-be-ignored truth is that once again I have too many projects on my needles.

I am -- after all -- a knitter.  I am Vest-ed in keeping my needles busy.



No comments:

Post a Comment