Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Friday, February 3, 2012

Inspiration

A knitting book from 1942.  Classic designs.  Perfect inspiration for the next project.

Using the wonderful vintage knitting books (gift from a friend) and an un-used gift card I made my way to my LYS, Yellow House Yarns in Puyallup.  Walked out with splendiferous yarn for two grand projects, each inspired by designs from the vintage books.

First book is from Minerva and contains classic cardigans and vests and a cable pullover.  Plus some very helpful advice on how knitting can help the war effort (WWII, that is.)  I know lots of knitters who are helping with hats and stump covers and other items during 'our wars.'  Giving . . .

Pockets and everything.  Classic and Elegant.
The yarn is Cascade sock yarn, 75% wool, 25% nylon.  I'll be using a small US3, targeting the gauge suggested by the pattern shown above.  I've knitted a nice big swatch so measuring will be both easier and more accurate.  In the swatch I've also tried two different ribbing patterns.
I've decided on the ribbing right at the bottom.  It's
from an old pattern book Mon Tricot Stitch Dictionary.  I've had
the book since the 70's so even the rib is 'vintage.'

Here's a better picture of the swatch so you can see how the yarn pools into these yummy shades of gold and cream.  Twill make a loverly cardi I think.
Swatch on the blocking board.  Just above the eyelet
ribbing is the other rib pattern I tried.  You can see
why I kept searching for something better.

I'm completely inspired.  The old pattern is so simple.  It's not written for any sizes that even come close to the ladies of today.  Ladies then were all so small.  The size 16 has a 35" bust -- different times, different sizes.

Meanwhile I've got a couple of projects that need attention.  That other glub is still minus some fingers.  The prayer shawl is about 1/3 completed.  One other item is on the blocking board and will be mailed tomorrow.

Oh, I sent Thuh Notebook on Tuesday.  Now we wait -- 6 to 8 weeks, while the critique takes place.  I'm not one to sit and twiddle my thumbs, though.  I've got knitting to do.




No comments:

Post a Comment