Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cross this one off the list -- the cowl

Finished the cowl (well, need to sew the seam, but . . .)

It's soft and I love the colors.  The ribbing pattern makes a cushy and pliant fabric, nothing tight and firm like ribbing at the bottom of a sweater.

Wound around a special piece of pottery we bot
at the Mud Brick Farm in New Zealand.
Yes, I would use the yarn again.  That's always a good test.  I noticed that Smiley's has it on sale, if you're interested.  The color in the cowl shown is also called Mosaic.  (But remember that Smiley's wants a $50 USD minimum purchase which can sometimes mean a big 'ouch' unless you can find friends to share the bargains.)

Back to the white shawl, which is really moving along.  I'm finishing both the shawl and the first Robicheaux story by James Lee Burke, by audio book.  The reader is remarkable.

A final pic showing the colors and the nice ribbing stitch.  This requires a K1B (knit 1 below) which means you put the right hand needle into the stitch below the one you think you should knit.  This is what makes the ribbing so pliant.  In some examples, the same result is created by using yarn-overs and then knitting them with the regular stitch on the way back.
. . . and it's washable.

Oh, that book arrived about the Brioche Stitch.  It's complete and thorough.  It covers the intro stitch for beginners and the complex ones to use after greater mastery has been achieved.  I'm studying.

Sunny here, blue skies, quite lovely.  I was able to take pictures outside so I'll put in just one of those.


Wind chime pottery by artist Mimi Wilce, KY

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! It's nice to be able to get a "quickie" project done while toiling away on a larger project, even if it's one you truly love.

    ReplyDelete