Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Friday, December 9, 2011

Fun hat!

It's no longer driving me crazy.  I think I've conquered the new color transition technique.  The striping is working out nicely.  I'm almost to the crown where I will get rid of stitches on purpose to slowly close the cylinder.  If you get rid of stitches too quickly the crown of the hat looks like the ones worn by garden gnomes.  Cute on a baby, but not for this RP.

The cream stripes show off the darker pink.
TKGA was explicit in asking that contrast be strong.
I think that's a definite and noticeable contrast.

Remember that cream yarn I un-knit?  Soaked it in cold water yesterday and hung it to dry.  Still a bit damp but here's what it looks like after treatment to restore it to original condition -- no squiggles from previously knit stitches and the soft loft of the yarn is preserved.  Will need this for that last swatch I'm avoiding.

I'm really liking the striping -- and the inside shows off the two colors, as well as the mess of loose ends that will have to disappear into the other stitches.

This close-up actually shows a neat backside.
Trust me, there's lots and lots of loose ends.
I hate loose ends.  They mean I'm not done
when I finish knitting.
Meanwhile, despite a promise to myself not to take on impossible-to-finish-without-going-crazy knitted Christmas gifts, I have this one on the needles.  It's from "One Skein Wonders" edited by Judith Durant.  Great book. LYS's from all over the US submitted designs for scarves, shawls, baby things, mittens, bags, etc.  Each one takes one skein/ball of the suggested yarn.  This one is page 55:  Gossamer Shell Scarf.

The yarn has some mohair.  It's variegated so you should
see several colors -- burgundy and blue on the needle and
olive on the ball of yarn.  

I re-discovered the top of the bed in the spare room.  Put several things into UFO boxes, organized needles and other accessories, cleared the top of the sewing machine so I can finish the borders on the latest Mystery Quilt from Heather Spence Designs.  We'll be doing another for spring.  

If you enjoy quilting AND want to help cancer patients cover their always present and always skyrocketing cancer treatment expenses, join Heather's spring MQ.  It's 10 USD and funds go to help offset treatment expenses not covered by insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment