Why this journey?

I've been retired now for over a year. Husband has been sick but is now doing quite well with new pacemaker. I continue to knit and knit and crochet. Recently I became friends again with my sewing machine so you will see some of those projects, too. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Swatch 3: Seed Stitch

Making progress.  Finished swatch 3.  It's a simple stitch, a combination of knits and purls but  -- now non-knitters, don't worry if you don't get this -- on the return row you knit the purls and purl the knits.

Swatch 3:  Seed Stitch
See it makes a nice, dense fabric, with little bumps (the purl stitches) alternating with the smooth v-shaped knit stitches.

It's a stitch used for garments that need to be firm, not stretchy.  Sometimes it's used instead of ribbing.

I don't like doing this stitch because I spend as much time moving the yarn from the front of the work, between the needles, to the back of the work and then vice versa -- as I do actually making the stitch.  It feels like time slows down and I can't seem to get any rhythm to the process.



Process -- now's there's a word.  I am a Process Knitter.  I like knitting because of the process:  the feel of the fibers, the movement of the yarn, the rhythm of the actions.  Sometimes I am quite indifferent to the actual product that results from the work.  I just like doing the work.  Of course, as I get close to the end of a project I sometimes am launched into a new territory known as Finishing.  And sometimes the prospect of Finishing can motivate me to actually finish the project.  But often as not, and too often for allowable storage space, the prospect of Finishing can propel that particular project right in the UFO pile.

More later on UFO's.

I put Swatch 3 into a plastic page protector (lots of P's in this post -- plastic, page, protector, process, project, propel) and inserted the page in the Blue Notebook.

On to Swatch 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment